Many times you will hear Pastors say things like, “All you have to do is believe, be saved, and get raptured.” But Christ teaches us that we are to “Overcome”. There is a big difference between the two. One teaches you an easy pie in the sky religion, while the other teaches you to be somebody, a steadfast servant of Almighty God who is willing to stand up for the truth, and to be someone that people can count on in times of trouble.
For we are moving into those times beloved, and if you never get past the first step of simply believing, you’re going to be in a world of trouble. Because you will not be prepared, mentally or spiritually, to endure the opposition.
And if you look up the word “OVERCOME” in the Greek and break it down, it means just that:
To endure until the end and achieve the victory (Strongs #3528 nikao)
In fact, the word “Nike” comes from this Greek word.
This word is used 17 times in the book of Revelation. And it is the primary message that Christ had for the 7 churches in Revelation Ch.2-3. So when someone tells you that the church is going to be rescued out of here before the Tribulation begins, they are in direct opposition to Christ’s teachings for He encourages us to BE OVERCOMERS, not escape artists. Let us read:
1. “He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches: To him that OVERCOMETH will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.” –Revelation 2:7
2. “Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold the devil shall cast some of you into prison that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that OVERCOMETH shall not be hurt of the second death.” –Revelation 2:10-11
3. “He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches. To him that OVERCOMETH will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.” –Revelation 2:17
4. “And he that OVERCOMETH, and keepeth My works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations: And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of My Father. And I will give him the morning star. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.” –Revelation 2:26-29
5. “He that OVERCOMETH, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before My Father, and before His angels. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.” –Revelation 3:5-6
6. “Him that OVERCOMETH will I make a pillar in the Temple of My God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of My God, and the name of the city of My God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from My God: and I will write upon him my new name. He that hath an ear let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.” –Revelation 3:12-13
7. “To him that OVERCOMETH will I grant to sit with Me in My throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with My Father in His throne. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.” –Revelation 3:21-22
Watch our full length documentary - VICTORY OVER EVIL
Do you have ears to hear? The message about being an “OVERCOMER” couldn’t have been made any clearer. Jesus repeated it seven times here along with seven different rewards. So that is what we are to strive for?
This is your mission and your purpose as a Christian. Especially in this generation.
And to do so you must have a WARRIOR MENTALITY!
You don’t have to be physically strong, and it doesn’t matter if you are a man, woman, or a child. For the war we fight is a spiritual war (Ephesians 6). But you do need to have a tough mindset, one of strength and endurance. Because times will get hard. And to develop that mindset you must study God’s Word and apply it to your life on a regular basis.
It’s not enough to simply say “I believe”. You must prove it.
How do we gain the strength to prove our belief? Well simply by studying and learning from all the examples set before us in God’s Word. A good place to start is Hebrews Chapter 11, where Paul gives a list of many Heroes of Faith who OVERCAME this world:
“Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, Quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, waxed valiant in fight, turned to flight the armies of the aliens.” –Hebrews 11:33
Beloved they didn’t overcome just by saying, “I believe”. They put their beliefs into action. Being an CHRISTIAN OVERCOMER requires action. I don’t care if it begins with only 15 minutes of preparation a day by studying God’s Word, chapter-by-chapter and verse-by-verse. People who sit back passively waiting for a great escape are not going to be ready. And people who say, “Well, when times get tough I’ll pull out my Bible then.” By then it will be too late. You see life here in the flesh is a test. And it is meant to be a challenge. Every obstacle we face and OVERCOME causes us to grow into faithful servants ready to take care of business.
So what is a Christian Overcomer?
A Christian Overcomer is someone who is mentally and spiritually prepared to stand against Satan when he appears as Antichrist, without ever bowing a knee to him. Do you have what it takes?
Pastor Ben Heath
Category: Studies for Overcomers